The nbn™ is replacing the vast majority of existing fixed phone and internet networks throughout Australia. This migration will affect building maintenance units as the emergency phone technology will not operate during an nbn™ outage, either caused by a power failure or a network issue.
The building maintenance unit’s telephone line is an essential feature of its safety system, enabling passengers to call for help in the event of an emergency. If your building maintenance unit emergency phone is not operational 24/7, your building will not meet the Australian Standard for lift telephones & you may be in breach of Workplace Health and Safety legislation.
Emergency telecommunication systems operating over the nbn™ network must be connected to a secondary communications technology by law – such as a mobile network connection with a battery backup included. Your emergency telephony service must automatically operate during a power outage affecting the nbn™.
FTTP (Fibre to the Premise), FTTN (Fibre to the Node) & HFC (Hybrid-Fibre Coaxial) connections will NOT work in the event of a power failure. Premises with these connection types must upgrade their emergency telephone technology.
If you have FTTP (Fibre to the Premise) with a battery backup, you may still be out of compliance unless your emergency phone line is being actively monitored.
The DET (Duress & Emergency Telephone) service provides a cellular, battery powered backup for your emergency telephony during an nbn™ outage.
Using dual SIM connectivity, the DET unit emulates the reliability of your traditional copper connection. The DET unit comes standard with twelve hours of battery backup, powering the unit in the event of a network outage.
- Each unit replaces up to four PSTN lines
- Option to attach other critical lines requiring redundancy (such as security lines, freezer alarms, gas lines, etc.)
- Unique facility enabling the call centre to identify which one of up to four emergency lines is calling & dial out to those lines
- Remote, proactive monitoring of critical functions (signal strength, battery voltage, fault line, etc.)
- Periodic heartbeat to monitoring centre to confirm system health and functionality
- Comprehensive maintenance service
- Remote configuration of all settings & updating of hardware’s software
- On board storage of custom voice messages